2003 - 2004
Old Whanau Records
Coming Soon
Archives Home
Full Archive Search
Type a name in the box below
(one word for best results)

Aroha Mai
You cannot add any information to any of these records - they are here for historical purposes only.

If you find something you want to know more about post in the current Whakapapa Club Forum
NGATAU hirata te NEED HELP FINDING INFO ON MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER PLEASE From the Original Whakapapa Club
djhowes
New Zealand
Posted: 31/07/2007
Im looking for information on TE HIRATA NGATAU. I was told by my aunty's that this is my great grandmother. I would like to know who her husband was and anything else that would help me would be great. THANKYOU

djhowes

HER NAME WAS ALSO MIXED UP
NGATAU TE HIRATA
HIRATA NGATAU

Edited by - djhowes on Nov 19 2007 10:53:29 AM
a.giacon
New Zealand
Posted: 10/09/2007
Hi there, I recieved this email from a person wanting to contact you, my email was on this site so they emailed me!! He could not seem to be able to register on here.

Alan Brady- allan@anatech.co.nz said that she was also his Great Grandmother, and if you contact him he can give you the information you require.

Regards
A Giacon
Allan Brady
New Zealand
Posted: 11/09/2007
quote:

Im looking for information on TE HIRATA NGATAU. I was told by my aunty's that this is my great grandmother. I would like to know who her husband was and anything else that would help me would be great. I was also told my great great grandfather is king te wherowhero the first maori king. I think i am trying to find a link between te hirata ngatau and king te wherowhero im not sure any help would be great THANKYOU

djhowes

HER NAME WAS ALSO MIXED UP
NGATAU TE HIRATA
HIRATA NGATAU

Allan Brady
New Zealand
Posted: 11/09/2007
Hi Donna,

I have finally managed to register with this website.
Ngatau Te Hirata is also my Great Grandmother, I would doubt that she would be your Great Grandmother also, rather your G.G.Grandmother judging by your age from your profile. She had many different alias's, Hirata Ngatau, Te Hirata Ngatau, Ngatau Te Hirata Brady, Hirata Brady. She was a full blood Maori of Te Arawa descent and died Nov.9 1942 My Grandfather's name was Harry Brady, or his maori name Henare Ngatau. From my research I do not have anything that would link her to King Te WheroWhero, I have G.Grandmothers death certificate, on this certificate it states that her father was Keremeta Te Whetu, which was actually incorrect, as I have now completed our whakapapa, her Papa my G.G.Grandfather, was in fact Keremeta Te Wahapu who died the 15th Sept 1897 he was married to Rangitehei, they had two children one Hirata and her brother Raimona Te Kirikau. I haver also found where G.Grandmother is buried, in an umarked grave in the Onehunga Cemetry. I have a significant amount of information about our family, far to extensive to write about here, should you wish to find out anymore, please contact me as I would also like to know where you fit into this family.

Regards,
Allan Brady.
gege

Posted: 10/01/2008
Hi...
Te Hirata Ngatau or Ngatau Te Hirata was also my Great-grandmother. As far as I know she was married to Brady.. I don't know his 1st name. I think they had 10 children. Margaret Makarita Brady was my grandmother. She married Arthur Thomason and they had 4 children. My father is Geoffrey Thomason. I know that Brady went to the goldfields in Australia at some time. I don't think he came back. I have somedata here about the burial of Ngatau Te Hirata Brady. She lived at the time of her death at 24 Archer St Onehunga. She is burried in area 4 Block B Lot 754 at the Waikaraka Cemetery (which I presume is in Onehunga.)The Funeral directors were CH Barkers.
My father remembered her as a small woman with a moko. He once pointed out to me a cottage she lived in on St John's hill in Wanganui. They farmed a piece of land which I believe she owned once in Papamoa. I think she may have sold the piece of land after they left..... Hope this helps.....Gail Edgecombe
1 of 1