December 05 2016 15:42:45
View Thread
 Print Thread
APERANIKO, Te Hira Waara: Looking for whanau
tamaroa99
Kia Ora

I would like to know more about him, dates and events in his life and those of his immediate family.
I think his father was Aperaniko WAARA and his mother was Pirihira KAUIKAROA.
He is also known as Te Hira II as he had a brother who died with the name Te Hira.

I am specifically interested in information about Te Hira's children. I know he had a daughter born around 1900 called Te Whatarangi, also known as Sarah. On her death certificate her parents names are given as Hira TE WAARA and Mamaroa TE WAARA (nee PAKI).

In the interest of sharing info I can also post here some Land Court Minutes from 1899. This is the testimony of Te Paea APERANIKO, who I think is Te Hira's sister.

tamaroa99
Land Court Minutes
1899 May 11
Papaaroha

Te Paea Aperaniko sworn in ~

My name is Te Paea Aperaniko - of the Ngatirangitaua Hapu, and Ngatitamatera tribe. I live at Koputauaki - I know the pieces of land I claim in this Block, they are (1) Te Paeroa, it was given to my father by Maata Paea - Pita Taurua first presented land at Porewa to our father - he then gave us Te Paeroa - which was land given to him by Weiha Temoananui [?] in payment for impropriety of Rangituia with Pepene - this, Paeroa, was substituted for land at Porewa - taking back Porewa as it was a sacred place of theirs. Having got Paeroa we commenced to occupy it During that occupation my brother, Te Hira Aperaniko, died there - my father said he must be buried on this land. He was buried on the hill above our Kainga. Arawa Karaka and Rangituia were against persons being buried there as it was not a cemetery - but our father had his way. We lived there a long time, then our people, Ngapuhi, to which my mother belonged, urged that my brother’s remains should be taken to the Ngapuhi District - and they were taken.

Q. How do you explain your statement that Maata Paea gave this land to you?

A. When Maata heard that Pita Taurua had given us this land she objected saying that Weiha Temoananui was not the owner and that the land was hers. And that she would take the land from us. My father and W. Rangipihi and my mother Pirihira met Maata Paea here in Coromandel. She spoke to them about this land, saying to my father - As you have buried your son on this place I will not take it away but will give it to you absolutely.

Q. From the time Maata Paea gave it till now have you heard any disputes as to your ownership?

A. No.

Q. What other land was given to you?

A. Pahengahenga - it was given by Hera Putea to Aperaniko - in giving it Hera said “Listen Aperaniko - now that I have given this land to you, you shall have it absolutely for you and your children.”

Q. Were there many present at that time?

A. Yes - a great number.

Q. Were you present?

A. Yes, I was young at the time. A Matua of name Matene stood up and asked Hera Putea - “Would you not at some future time take back this land you have now given?” Hera Putea said “What I have thrown out of my mouth I will not take back.”

Q. From the time of the gift until now has Hera Putea disputed her gift?

A. No.

Q. What was done with the land by you?

A. We cultivated it - grew crops - planted fruit trees - we have fruit trees still there - fences out of repair - no one else has cultivated there.

Q. After Hera Putea’s death was your ownership disputed?

A. No. When Teraiti Hira died the people Makaore the older, and younger, Rangituia, Arawa, went there to remark the boundary. And we went.

Q. What other land was presented to you?

A. Rorohea. It was given by Arawa Karaka, Wikitoria Rangipiki, Wikitoria Ngohohau, it was presented at Omaru, on the block in these words to my father - Arawa said “Niko I give you this land Rorohea which is near Pahengahenga - for you and your family.” I was the only one of our family who occupied - I lived and worked there - I planted lemon trees, grew crops, melons etc. The clearing can be seen where I cultivated - rather stony.

Q. From when you got this land till now has there been any objection made to your ownership?

A. None.

Q. Are those the only lands presented?

A. O Karihi is another (Te Karihi is at the other end. K. Paaka’s). It was presented to my father by Weiha Te Moananui. The presentation was made at Omaru. Weiha said - “Listen Niko - I have land at Papaaroha called O Karihi, which I now give to you and your children.” There was a large number of people present - Arawa Karaka, Wikitoria Rangipiki, Matene, Te Weiha, it was at the Kainga of Wikitoria and Arawa it was given. The people were on their way to a large meeting. Hera Putea may have been there.

Q. Was the gift ever disputed?

A. No.

Q. What did you then do with the land?

A. It is a permanent home of ours, that & Paeroa. We built houses, fenced, cultivated - on death of my elder sister one house was burnt down.

Q. Are these all the places given?

A. No - no. Karaka was one, it was given by Riria Karepa and Takerei Te Putu. I don’t know where the present was made. It was given to my father about some trouble with N/Porou. When my brother got married, before a month the N/Porou after he died came and stole the widow. My father chased them and caught them at Harataunga. He asked them to give her up - they refused. He came back and informed his people who decided to compel them to. Many people went, the Ngatitamatera. They still refused -–so I and Rangituia’s sister were deputed to go and get her - but we failed. We returned and Arawa and Wikitoria Ngohohau said we will take Harataunga from N/Porou. Te Tuiri of N/Tamatera asked them to pay damages - which they did - the goods were taken to Ohinemuri. Horses were given - we only got the land - Karaka. Takerei and Karepa being Rangatiras of N/Porou so they had to give - their land was added to the goods. We then lived and worked on this land. My elder sister accepted it - we sold firewood off it to the Pakeha. The Gift was never disputed.

Q. Were there any other lands given?

A. Te Kumete [?] was one, it was given by Arawa Karaka and W. Rangipiki to Aperaniko - it was already held by Ngatikahangungu viz. Paora Matuakore. It was given to him by Arawa Karaka, Wikitoria Ngohohau and Wikitoria Rangipiki.

Q. Did any one dispute the gift to P. Matuakore?

A. No.

Q. How did you come to get it?

A. At time when P. Matuakore got this land he was cutting firewood on it. The workmen were not paid - so they summoned Paora. And he had to pay them. When W. Ngohohau died P. Matuakore her husband was taken back by Wikitoria Rangipiki and Arawa Karaka to his own District Gisborne. When they got there, land was given by Wi Pere to W. Rangipiki and Arawa Karaka and Wikitoria told them to retain their land there and she and hers would keep the land here. Sometime after Wikitoria and Arawa returned they gave this land to my father. We had lived at Te Kumete before the Gift, at the time Paora was there. I was in error in saying W. Ngohohau was one who gave it. She was dead long before.

Q. From the time of the Gift of this land has there been any objection to your occupying it?

A. None - until the Survey of Kumete was made during Arawa Karaka’s life, Rangituia and Te Hira - then Rangihuia objected - Arawa said you should not come here and object - you won’t stop my survey. She went back and Arawa finished the survey. Arawa Karaka himself conducted the survey. This is the only land of those presented that was objected to.

Q. When the presents were made were the boundaries given?

A. Yes.

Q. Can you give them?

A. Yes.

Q. After the giving - and your occupying - was Te Hira the only one of your dead buried on them?

A. We have other dead buried - at Paeroa - Te Huia Aperaniko was buried next after Te Hira, and her two children - not named - Aperaniko himself is buried there. Kahu Aperaniko is also buried there and her daughter Maraea Mangakahia - and the husband of my sister, Wi Te Koha. Matewai Kiwihuatahi also one of our dead is buried there. Honga-Tara also, Henare Matapo (a Tuakana of Mitahi), Rangiputu, a grandchild of Karinga Teranua, those are all at Paeroa.

Q. Is that your only sacred place?

A. No, some are buried at Te Nganga Koputauaki, two children of my sister are buried there - both were named Arawa - also a daughter of Te Hira my brother - she was named Ngohohau. Another child of Te Hira, called Hura, is buried there - another child (Te Awe) of his - he, Te Awe, is buried there - also his wife Te Rehi Hura, also Te Hira (1), a child of Mere Aperaniko my sister. Also another child of hers, Nimrod. And a daughter of my sister Kahu Aperaniko, called Mate Huirua is buried there.

Court adjourned till 2 pm.
2 pm: Court resumed ~

Q. That was Matahuirua who married son of Haora Tupaea?

A. Yes. We have other dead, an uncle of mine called Te Pai Nikoriwa, a child of Herewine, Kingi is another, those are all - they were buried there at the wish of W. Rangipiki and A. Karaka. No objection ever made to the burial of these dead there.

Q. You said you are of Ngatirangitaua Hapu and of tribe of N/Tamatera?

A. Yes.

Q. Give your Whakapapa.

A. I will give it as given to me by my Matua, Aperaniko and Arawa Karaka

TAMATERA = RUAWEHEA
|
TAIREINA
|
RANGITAUA (1) = TIPA
|
TE RUATOTO
|
TE TUHINGA
|
TU HUIA (1)
|
TE WHANAKE
|
APERANIKO
|
TE PAEA APERANIKO

Q. How many ch~ had Aperaniko?

A. 1, Kahu, 2, Te Huia (dead), 3, Wiremu Tamihana (called after father of Rangituia)(dead), 4, Te Hira (dead), 5, Te Hira (2), 6, Te Paea Aperaniko, 7, Pirika, 8, Mere, 9, Mangakahia (dead).

Q. Had Kahu any children?

A. Yes - Matahuarua (dead), Tu Huia (2)(dead), Pini, Waiongoha (dead), Rangitaua (2), Ani, Ngaruone, Te Kahi (dead), Ropata, New Zealand, Arawa (1)(dead), Arawa (2)(dead). Matahuarua married Teke Tupaea - and had children, called Wahu, Hewai, Te Moananui, all living. Tu Huia (2) had children, Arekini (dead), Hariata (dead), Te Whanake (2), Te Manu (dead), these by first husband Heta. By second husband (Matawai Kiwi) she had Wharaki (dead), one not named (dead), Poruaua (2)(dead), Hera. Wi Tamihana died without issue - also Te Hira no child surviving. Mangakahia died young - without issue.

Q. These are the descendants of the ancestors you have traced from Tamatera?

A. Yes. Arawa and Ngohohau named Rangitaua (2) after Rangitaua wife of Tipa.

Q. Why did they give her that name?

A. It was the name of their ancestor and a grandchild of Aperaniko - Rangitaua was a tipuna of Arawa and Ngohohau, also of Aperaniko.

Q. Who brought your father?

A. I heard Rangitaua’s father first came for him viz. Wiremu Tamihana.

Q. One of your brothers is named after him?

A. Yes.

Q. Who went the second time for your father?

A. Matua and Te Weiha.

Q. Do you know in what year your father arrived?

A. I don’t know the year - my father brought my brother Hira (1) to Rangituia - from Ngapuhi - and then he returned to Ngapuhi. Next time two others of our family were brought down - my sister Mere and Hira (2). They were also left with Rangituia at Motutapere. After that they came up again and brought us down from Ngapuhi District here where we have remained ever since. Subsequently the lands I am now claiming were presented to us.

Q. As to positions of pieces claimed - on the block

A. I don’t understand plans - I can point them out on the ground.

Q. Do you know names of the lands adjoining the pieces you claim - and their owners?

A. Yes. A piece next to Paeroa I have heard it said is N/Rongou land - called Tongamata. It lies towards beach. A place called Paraparaoa next to our piece belongs to Takerei Te Putu. On south of our piece is a piece called Pupukeke belonging to Karauria Paaka. Further south is a pice called Te Ahimanu, it belongs to Riria Karepa and Takerei. Another pice of land between Pahengahenga and Paeroa called Ahikumukumu belongs to William King. On the other side of the stream to the east is Te Ao O Mataruki - it is owned by Rangituia. Inland from that is Terautawhaki - it is owned by Rangituia. These are all in this part. Further up is Rauporoa - Arawa and Wikitoria Rangipiki own it. Higher up, on ridge, is Te Ranga - belonging to Riria Karepa and Takerei Te Putu - it is close to Gold Fields boundary. West of Te Ranga is Popokerangi - it is owned by Arawa Karaka and Wikitoria Rangipiki. The part of it facing west is owned by Rangituia. On the other side, south of Paeroa, a piece of land called Te Karihi - it belongs to K. Paaka. Another piece inland from this is Te Kahiwaewae, it belongs to Waka Tarawera and Ahurata Takoa. Opori, south of O Karihi - it belongs to Rangituia. South of Opori is Waituna, it belongs to Arawa Karaka and Wikitoria Rangipiki. South of this is Mangunga Kaiota which belongs to Riwi father of Nikorima Pototara I have heard. South of this also belonging to N/Ruaru is Te Angaora. Tukarawa I heard was one of the N/Maru. Te Hautapu (again south) belongs to the N/Maru. Onepoto, to same people. These are all the pieces I heard belonged to these, to the Ngatimaru. We cultivated there over all these pieces except Onepoto. Next, going south is Ngohetangu - belonging to Rangtuia - Kapongaru belonging to Arawa K. and Wikitoria Rangipiki. O Ngaure belonging to A. Karaka and W. Rangipiki. Te Karaka is the next, it belongs to us. The next south is Okahu belonging to a Pakeha - I heard it formerly belonged to Ranapia, Arawa and Paora Puhara. Next to this is Waikeakia - belongs to Ranapia Arawa and Paora Puhara. Next to that is Houston’s land. Te Mokomoko is the next place, it belongs to Karauria Puketapu Te Kuta. Inland from this is Te Pakira O Terarau - owned by Takerei Te Putu - the latter is a Hill. Then down in the valley is Pohotikitaua owned by Takerei Te Putu. Across the stream from Ta Mokomoko is Parateatea owned by Wikitoria Rangipiki and Arawa Karaka. There is a sort of an island, seaward from this, called Te Uri Wai - it belongs to Takerei Te Putu. East of Wharewhenua is Terahunui - it belongs to Takerei Te Putu and Hera Hopihona. On the no’west [?] is Rangitoto, it belongs to Takerei Te Putu and Hera Hopihona. Across from this is Te Matuaku - it is owned by Karauria Puketapu. Seaward from this is nga nga, a sort of island, it belongs to Arawa Karaka and Wikitoria Rangipiki. Across river at Koputauaki is Kotikohireka owned by Takerei Te Putu. Eastward of this along the river is Whitikataka - belongs to Takerei Te Putu. Next is (seaward) Tahunatorea, it is owned by Takerei Te Putu. Next to Tahunatorea on east, is Opouhaki, owned by Takerei Te Putu - south of this is Whakakapua belonging to Rangituia. From this towards the sea is Te Nga Nga, owned by A. Karaka and W. Rangipiki. Inland from this is Te Tara O Te Marama, owned by Karauria Paaka - Koputauaki Pa which is owned by Arawa Karaka and Wikitoria Rangipiki. Then Otangatoa (south of east) belongs to Wikitoria Rangipiki and A. Karaka. Omaru, south again, which belongs to Wikitoria Rangipiki and A. Karaka. Above from Omaru is Kaiarahara - owned by Rangituia. South of this is Terahihira which is owned by Takerei Te Putu. These places are all inside the block before the Court.

Q. Can you give the boundaries of the blocks you have mentioned?

A. I can give some of them - they were pointed out to us by the Kaumatuas. I cannot fix them on the plan - I could on the land - we were brought up on it.

Q. Do you know of an island called Pohokuho?

A. Yes - I have worked there. It was a pa formerly.

Q. Who owned it?

A. Arawa Karaka and W. Rangipiki.

Q. What work did you do there?

A. Growing potatoes - Wikitoria Rangipiki and I planted peach trees and vines there - these are still growing.

Court adjourned till 10 am Friday 12th May.
Court opened at 10 am. Present, same ~

Q. Can you give the dates or occasions on which you arrived from Ngapuhi District?

A. It was just before Gold discovered at Takatea by Makarauri and Hani Tuhirangi.

Q. Had you arrived before the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh?

A. We had arrived - my sister went to Auckland from Omaru.

Q. Do you know takes of A. Karaka and W. Rangipiki to this land?

A. I have heard Arawa and others say this land belonged to Paeke - that is all.

Q. Did you know how he (Paeke) got it?

A. I have heard he got it by conquest and I was shown where Paeke’s fight took place - on Houston’s piece.

Q. Do you know the boundaries of the land before the Court?

A. I do.

Q. What are they?

A. Commencing at Tuhitoto, Taupiri, thence to south of Waimai, thence easterly to Te Whareoteriri, thence northerly to Kaipa, Rahukutiu, thence to Kaiharahara, to Waipongo stream, thence to Paturangi, to Waikurikuri to the summit of Teranga, thence to Rauporoa, thence to mount Pukeweka, thence to Tikitikiatongia, thence easterly to Te Umukuri, thence northerly to Rangiuru range, thence to Puroa, a mount, thence westerly to Taihaperahi stream and by that stream to the sea, thence southerly by the coast to Waiparuparu, Takitimu, Tongamatuo, Te Paeroa, Opouri, Mangungukaiota, Te Hautapu, Ngotitana, Kapongore, Ngawai, Te Karaka, Ohahui, Waiteatea, Te Mangawa, Mataoaka, Oapuri, Kowhitu-a-Paeke, Te Poho, Te Niho, Ta Makomako, Te Uriwai, Tahunatorua, Koputauaki Pa, Omaru, Teraruahira, Kikowhakarere, Kitahi, Purakeno, Tuhitoto.

Q. What land is within these boundary lines?

A. I heard from Arawa that was land belonging to himself, Wikitoria Rangipiki and Wikitoria Ngohohau. Arawa himself taught us these boundaries.

Q. Whom did Paeke defeat?

A. Ngatihuarere - I don’t know where they came from or went to.

Q. Do you know the boundary separating N/Rongou part.

A. Commencing at Tongamatau on coast thence inland, south easterly to Te Pupuke thence easterly to crossing the Papaaroha stream to Te Auraki, thence climbing up to Tikitikiatongia, thence to Te Umukuri, thence northerly to top of Kanguiru range and by that range to Puroa, thence westerly to Taihaperahi stream and by that stream to coast, thence southerly to Waipurupuru, Takitimu, Tongamatuo. I heard Arawa Karaka and Rapana say the land on this belonged to the N/Rongou, orig. Rihara Kupene, Pirihira Pirihira Rangitaupua, Hohepa Kapene, Rapana Te Ngaoke - that is why I know that land belongs to N/Rongou. Rapana was then living at Papaaroh
A. He was taken to Manaia where he died. It was Haimiera Horonui who took him.

Q. When you arrived on this land from Ngapuhi Dist. whom did you see living on it?

A. Arawa Karaka, W. Rangipiki, Manene Rutuhau, Te Weiha Taura, Hangi Rangikaura, Te Watene, Piripuru, Riria Karepa, Pita Te Hangi, Paora Potaka, Te Papu, daur of R. Karepa, Takerei Te Putu. Raurima Porapora, an old woman of N/Porou staying with R. Karepa, Ruta, an old woman staying with AK and W. Rangipiki. I saw members of N/pimanga, viz. Kaawaa, and his wife Te Ro, and their children, Haatu Paaka, Temeti, Karauria Paaka, Karauria Te Puketapu, Tineia Arapata, Maringi. Those are all I can remember who lived permanently there. They all lived at Koputauaki.

Q. Did you see Te Putukirikiri there - Makaore and others - living there?

A. They were there living at Kapanga and Motutapere.

Q. When did you first see Makaore and his people living on this land?

A. The first time they came there was when Mereana and Wirimu Pita her child were brought there by Aperaniko from Motutapere. They were taken to Mangungukaiota, Mereana, Tiutai and his wife Roro, Maika of N/kahungungu (a relative of Pita Taurua), also Weiha. Those are all who came the first time. They lived at Mangungukaiota - these people lived with us at our houses. Some time after this Wikitoria Rangipiki and Arawa Karaka brought their two boys Pukapekana and Makaore Te Ahorau to Mangungukaiota. Brothers of Rangituia - Rangituia was away in Ngapuhi District, Hera Putea, her mother, had died - these two boys lived sometimes with Arawa, sometimes with us.

Q. What happened then?

A. Some time after, Taiara appeared and lived there, also Hoani Te Kiri Pakeke (both of Patu Kirkiri). It was then proposed that we should go to live and cultivate at Papaaroha - close to stream - Arawa and W. Rangipiki proposed it - we went there and built a house at Taraparaoa on land belonging to Takerei Te Putu. Our home was built there, Wikitoria Rangipiki and Arawa Karaka built at Te Kahu O Karewa. We then lived there, put up fences for cultivations, fencing the N/rongou land - we cultivated there, and then back to Mangungukaiota. Makaore Te Pukeroa used to go to those places as his children were there - staying with W. Rangipiki and A. Karaka. He had not then built houses for himself.

Q. When did the Putukirikiri have separate houses for themselves?

A. When Mereana married Te Hikitanga - they built a house at Te Ahimanu, land of Riria Karepa. After that W. Rangipiki and Arawa Karaka built a house on the beach at Tongamatau - a wharepuni - the builders were Po and Kereania. There was also built a storehouse. When W. Rangipiki and A. Karaka moved to Koputauaki, Makaore Te Pukeroa and his party occupied these houses at Tongamatau, and lived there until very recently. Makaore and Te Hikitanga rebuilt and enlarged the house. The new house was erected on same site as old one. The King, Tawhaio, never occupied either the old house or the new, he occupied the storehouse. His people occupied the old house - there were many people present, new house not then built.

Q. How long after King’s visit was new house built?

A. It was about the time Rangituia left Haora and married Hone Tireti. The house was called Pihanga in consequence of a song made about her leaving Haora. Rangituia was then living at Kapenga, so was I. Makaore remarried living at Papaaroha. When Makaore Te Ahuroa lost his children they came to Kapenga - none of the Patukirikiri are living there now, they have left it about two years. Sometimes they go back and look at the fences.

Q. What Kaingas belong to Wikitori Rangipiki and Arawa Karaka on this block?

A. They had a permanent one at Koputauaki, Umuhunga, Omaru, Pukopuko, an island, Mangungukaiota, Papaaroha, Tongamatau. These are permanent Kaingas - there were others where they worked.

Q. From your first coming on to the land till now have Wikitoria Rangipiki and Arawa Karaka left this block to make Kaingas for themselves elsewhere?

A. No. Until A. Karaka died at Koputauaki they had no other kaingas - until now they still live there.

kiwichris
http://whakapapa.maori.org.nz/archives/viewthread.php?TOPIC_ID=747

http://whakapapa.maori.org.nz/archives/viewthread.php?TOPIC_ID=1114

Here's a couple of archived threads.Smile

tamaroa99
Thanks Kiwichris,

I hadn't seen one of those threads.

sue50
Just came across this while researching my whakapapa.Just thought someone may be able to put me on the right track!!I see the name Hone Tireti who was my great grandmothers brother and I am trying to trace my whakapapa back to the waka.My great grandmother was Hera Tireti.Please can anyone help put me on the correct track.

Jump to Forum:
Copyright © 2011