December 07 2016 17:07:39
View Thread
 Print Thread
HELP learning and Writing My Pepeha
gunnermace11
Kia Ora,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. For many years I have been looking for closure and belonging to my own iwi and ultimately being able to finally come back home to Aotearoa one day to whaikorero my pepeha has been my ultimate dream.

To give you some understanding of my situation I was born in Otautahi to a maori father / pakeha mother and whangai at birth to my now maori parents in the early 60s and brought up in Tamaki Makaurau. However, unfortunately both parents are unable to korero maori and so I was discouraged from been able to learn our reo. My adopted father did not have a relationship with his iwi and never spoke about it, so all I know his whanau are from Rotorua. My adopted mother was closer to her whanau and therefore, I spent time with that side of the whanau.

I know that my biological father is from the far north, but that is all I know.

The question is, how do I as a whangai man put my start my pepeha and put into words.

No reira, tena koutou katoa

Mac

hunibee
kia ora Mac Well Your post gave me a sharp reminding of my journey three years ago although i am not a whangai child my search for my belonging was upmost for my sake and my children,I awhi your korero !! well first up Names and Dates are the begining to the journey your looking to go on!!in Here is definately a place to start if you could drop at least one of your parents names im sure someone in here will pop up !! A Name is very powerful when searching !! then any details from your birth certificate can also it would be a pleasure to help in some way as my late husband is from up north and a very huge family to so aroha mai and i hope this helps in sum way good luckSmile

Jump to Forum:
Copyright © 2011