December 07 2016 17:10:47
View Thread
 Print Thread
MANGAWARA, Jane
Colleen Newton
Kia Ora. I am Looking for my partner's g-grandmother known to us as Jane Mangawara, who was b c1815 Thames. She was the daughter of a chief, possibly Ngatihini or Ngatimaru.
When Irishman, Thomas Shannon GORDON, arrived in the district around 1840, he told Jane that they would only be together until white women arrived! They had 2 children; Mary Ann Gordon 1844-1914 and James Gordon 1849?-1930.
In 1851, Thomas married Sarah Alderdice, so Jane went back to her tribe. This apparently didn't cause any ill feeling and he spoke fluent Maori and fought on their side during the wars. Thomas and Sarah had 11 children and she also cared for James and Mary Ann.
Thomas died 10.2.1872, at Miranda, when 300wgt of earth fell on him whilst making a flume.
James grew up an angry young man, whose subsequent ill-treatment of woman probably stemmed from feeling abandoned by his birth mother. He married Drusilla Anne BULL and Ellen COOK, having 5 and 12 children respectively. James also had 4 known illegitimate children to different mothers. He spent many times in Mt Eden prison for non-payment of maintenance!
My partner is a grandson of Violet Esmeralda Gordon, a daughter of James Gordon and Ellen COOK.
Any info. would be most appreciated and reciprocated.Kisses

Lyn
My grandmother was the daughter of Herbert Thomas Gordon, black Jim's half brother. She told me the story of the Maori princess who was TSGordon's first wife. They had two children, but as agreed, when more Pakeha woman arrived, she returned to her Rotorua iwi. TS Gordon is buried on a farm up in the hills at Mangatawhiri, off Pinnacle Hill Road. Him and his brother brought horses to trade with Maori.

Robyn Bentley
My great grandfather was James [Black Jim] Gordon [he was called Black Jim because of his black beard & to differentiate between him & his cousin who was also called James & had a red beard] son of Thomas Shannon Gordon my grandfather was Thomas Clarence Gordon 4th child of James & Ellen. I am also trying to find info on Mangawara/Jane.

Jump to Forum:
Copyright © 2011