Whakapapa Club Banner
Today's Date in Maori: Ratu, 21 o Whiringa a Rangi i te tau 2017 te ra
Enter a Surname

November 21 2017 19:24:30
View Thread
Whakapapa Club » Finding Whanau (Family) » Tracing Tupuna (Ancestors)
 Print Thread
Williams-Te Koha whanau (Nui Te Koha) Hauraki (Paeroa/Possibly Thames/Coromandel)
ajl18
Kia Ora Koutou,

My Great-Grandfather was named Nui Te Koha (changed to Williams) and he was originally from Waimate North and Ngapuhi.

Sometime around the late 19th century, I believe he and his brother traveled to the Hauraki rohe. Nui Te Koha subsequently ended up marrying my great grandmother - Mateau Totoreinga.

I have been able to find a reasonable amount of information regarding my Hauraki whakapapa, and received a whakapapa chart from Rikiriki Rakena before he passed away, which has been very valuable to me.

I have been unable to ascertain more information about my Great Grandfather from Ngapuhi. Some questions i have include:

1) Why did he change his name to Nui Te Koha-Williams, and are all of the Williams whanau from Hauraki descended from a similar tupuna, or are they separate whanau.

2) What iwi/hapu connections Nui Te Koha has to Ngapuhi.

A separate question I have relating to my Hauraki whakapapa is in relation to what I believe is my Great Great Grandfather Hohana Potiki - any information in relation to him would be much appreciated. I have recently traveled back to Hauraki and visited places such as Te Totara Pa, and would love recommendations for other sites of cultural significance in the rohe.

Nga mihi in advance,

Aaron Te Koha.

poutokomanawa
Kia ora,

To learn more about how Maori naming conventions work, go to http://whakapapa....p?cat_id=5and have a read as it is all explained there and could open up more possibilites for you to look at Smile

I found the name Nui Tireni WI Te Koha on the 1908 Northern Maori Electrol Roll. So I am wondering if this is your great grandfather. The WI in this name could be short for Wiremu which is the translation of Williams.

If you go to a library you should be able to see the electrol roll on microfiche, unless they have a hard copy of it. Sadly they are only availalbe online if you pay (grr) but I am working on seeing if I can get at least a list of the names for the Whakapapa Club.

When you look for that record it is probably best to look through the whole roll, as names can be misspelled, or filed under first name, last name and sometimes last name, first name or Te Koha could be Tekoha etc. The advatange of doing that is then you may pick up other people with the same surname and they could be related.

When you find the record it will list the hapu and kainga which will give you a bit more information.

Do you know the parents of your great grandfather or where his whanau could be buried?

I will have a think about other places for you to look and post back here in due course.

Good luck! Grin
Edited by poutokomanawa on 10-11-2017 22:41
Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

Jump to Forum:
Copyright © 2011